Thursday, July 13, 2006

An Orkutized Life of ours….

“Where have you been recently? Haven’t seen you in some time?” a friend asked me the other day.
I replied, ‘’same here, haven’t seen you too in some time?”
Ironically we both hail from the same college sharing the same hostel & the same campus.

We meet each other now more on Orkut than in real life. This virtual life has substantially overtaken our real lives. We find it far more convenient to scrap someone then to ask “how have you been lately?” Perhaps it’s easier not to face people these days coz you can hide your façade behind the distance of words. Scrapping, which used to have a negative connotation till recently, has been attributed to the way we communicate between ourselves. I hope at least we shall find a better & an elevated term to replace this “scrap”.

Why do we all find it more difficult to approach our friends & acquaintances with simple conversations? The virtual global village, ie the Internet, which happens to be my likely source of livelihood, has really taken a central place in our lives. Most of our professions have reduced to “google” down certain piece of information from this myriad cloud of information. I extend kudos to Sergey Brin & Larry Page for revolutionizing our way of work & life. Is talking to a fiend better off on Orkut? Is googling the information the only way to add value? Whither creativity & originality? I don’t have answers to these questions, so I’ll leave with them. Well that’s some thoughts to chew upon.

But why do I feel that this virtual village has virtualized our relationships too. I can feel such a void in relationships these days. Indeed that takes me to the epistemological question of “Why do we need a relationship?”, “What do we seek in a relationship?” I don’t write this blog to find answers. I write merely to key down my thoughts. So if you are seeking these answers too, welcome aboard.

Keep thinking for thoughts are the atomic units of pleasure. Ain’t they?

Mann.
July14-2006.

No comments: