Monday, October 22, 2007

My greatest learning at work so far....

Well it's been more than six months that I've been working. It still comes as a surprise to people who know me closely coz of my legendary laze. But trust me the experience has been an extremely enthralling one. There have been times when you feel like utterly underutilized and bored. But everyone said that enjoy your honeymoon, your time will come. And guess what, it has arrived with a bang.

I'm kinda flooded with projects that consume me both physically & mentally. And that's the best part of a good job, that it challenges your mental faculties with unforeseen problems & issues. So in order to get a grip on things that were driving me crazy, I came up with my simple rules of engagement at work. I just wanted to pen them down, more so to keep reminding me of my tactics to tackle complexity.

Firstly, the most important attribute you should have at the back of your mind is that its not the knowledge that counts, its your ability to learn & apply what you've learnt that counts. Learnability is more important than what you know.

Secondly, always challenge existing ways of work. Don't just work if anything is assigned to you. Understand it, dig the technology, get the perspective and streamline the process. Remember there are no sacred cows. Be very candid with your observation & always never hesitate to "ask". Stay hungry, stay foolish.

Thirdly, work is a verb. Let it be a verb. Its good to strategize, but at the end of the day execution is the best strategy. Action is Salvation. Wow that has some Zen like aesthetics to it too.

Lastly always think whether your deliverables are directly usable & applicable to the senior management. Be it your manager or clients, just ask yourself, "Is my work gonna be useful to them? Will it help them to simplify their work? Can they reuse it with minimal changes?" Results matter, but the presentation & simplicity of your work is paramount too. Reusablity is the basis of effective delegation.

So that's my first dip into the management theory for mere mortals. Do drop in your comments so that you could see more of Drucker & Omhae synthesized for you. Have a challenging day...

4 comments:

Nihit said...

Words of Wisdom....:-)

dumb_ank said...

nice, like the "stay foolish"
a piece of advice, stop being obsessed about marketing ur blog, just write, it will market itself. remember chandan chatterjees words, a good product sells itself.
take care.

Aditi..............:) said...

hey that was very intelligently put...it reminded me of Edward De Bono's book - Creative Thinking

I would love to read more on it...!!

Sidharth said...

Nice one..i think i can identify wid these thoughts..good job:)